Resources for Pregnant and Postpartum Families in Oklahoma
Perinatal Depression and Anxiety Screening - I've put this together based on the main symptoms of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders and Dr. David Burns' mood assessments. This screening can be taken by pregnant and postpartum women.
Feel Like Yourself Again: A Mom's Guide to Overcoming Postpartum Depression
I've put together a completely FREE guide and 4-day email course with some of my top techniques and tips to help you overcome postpartum depression and anxiety and feel like yourself again. Get the guide straight to your inbox now, and begin your recovery!
South OKC - Thai-An Truong, LPC, LADC
South OKC - Jill Butler, LMFT
South OKC - Brandi Ricketts, LPC, LADC
Moore: Kim House, LPC, LADC
Central OKC - Charlotte Demarais, LPC-S, LMFT
Contact: (405) 421-0655
Charlotte has attended the PSI Perinatal Mental Health Trainings and runs a therapy group for moms called #Momsrockingfirstyears in central OKC. She current accepts United Healthcare, HealthChoice, and is working on TriCare and Blue Cross Blue Shields.
Central OKC - Nichole Mentzer, LCSW
Edmond - Tara Fritsch, LMFT
Edmond - Alison Squire MS, LPC
Contact: (405) 250-7448
Alison has attended postpartum expert Karen Kleinman's training for the treatment of postpartum stress, mood, and anxiety disorders. She accepts most major insurance plans. You can find a list of accepted plans on her Psychology Today Page.
Midwest City - Angela Dickson, LCSW
Ardmore - Felicia Hurst, LPC
Tulsa - Rachel Kauffman, LPC
Contact: (918) 296-7746
Rachel's treatment of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders is informed by the work of Karen Kleinman of the Postpartum Stress Center and by training from Postpartum Support International; accepts Blue Cross Blue Shields, Health Choice, United Healthcare, Multiplan, and private pay.
FREE counseling for pregnant & postpartum women through the Maternal & Child Heath Department in Oklahoma City.
Support Groups and Other Mom Groups
- Oklahoma Pregnancy & Postpartum Support - A FREE online Facebook group with local pregnant and postpartum moms. We are offering a "sistership" program where women currently struggling with postpartum issues can connect with a "big sister" figure for support and mentorship through their early motherhood journey.
- #MomsRockingFirstYears Therapy Group. Ran by Charlotte Demarais, LPC-S, LMFT in central OKC. Tuesdays 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM.
- Infant Massage Group with therapist Amanda Heaney, LPC. Starts July 30th, every Tuesday. Great for socialization with other moms and improving baby's health/attachment. Contact Amanda at (405) 259-7443 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- This is Motherhood - A FREE support group on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month at the Ardmore Public Library lead by therapist Felicia Hurst, LPC.
- Online PSI Support Meetings - Postpartum online support, little to no cost, pay what you can.
- Calm Waters: Free support groups for infant loss; free grief and divorce groups for children and their caregivers (OKC).
- Moore - Balance Women's Health - Rachel Dalthorp, MD (Psychiatrist)
- Norman - Dr. Patrick Ellis (Psychiatrist)
- Norman and Edmond - Netri (Ri) Teref-Ta APRN-CNM, CNHP, Naturopath
- Tulsa - Kim Kmita, APRN-CNM
- Contact your psychiatrist, OB-GYN, or primary care physician.
- MotherToBaby - Learn about medication exposures and other exposures from mother to baby while pregnant or breastfeeding from experts in the field. (FREE)
Doulas, Midwifery, and Other Services to Support Mom before, during, and after Birth.
- OKC Metro Birth Professionals
- Website: www.okcdoulas.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/okcdoulas
- OKC Metro Birth Professionals have compassionate and professional doulas to support you during birth and postpartum. Most clients do not know about postpartum doula care, and I'd highly recommend Amy Pomerantz:
- Postpartum Doula - Amy Pomerantz a.k.a. "the baby whisperer" For night-time care of baby, care of older siblings, meal prep, help with laundry and dishes, emotional support, and breastfeeding support)
- Thrive Mama Collective
- Thrive Mama has a variety of holistic services to support moms before, during, and after birth. Check out their monthly Thursday evening moms meet-up, where moms get together to have some wine and support each other. My clients who attend have had good experiences.
- Farah Antoine-Mayberry, OT, CLC
- Heather Wasuta, IBCLC
- Contact: (603) 452-8118
- Heather is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant who provides in-home lactation consultation and gentle sleep training.
- Breastfeeding Hotline: 1-877-271-MILK (6455)
- Dr. Bailey Coleman, DDS -Tongue tie and lip tie assessment and correction
- Phoenix Women's Program at Cedar Ridge - Bethany
- Website: www.cedarridgebhs.com/phoenix-womens-program
- Contact: (405) 605-6111
- It will be important to get inpatient treatment if you are:
- Suicidal, with a desire and plan to end your life
- Experiencing manic symptoms: rapid speech, not sleeping for over 48 hours, impulsive behavior, religious fixation, etc
- Experiencing sychotic symptoms: hearing or seeing things others aren't, having bizarre beliefs/delusions.
- While Cedar Ridge does not have a good reputation in general if you look up their reviews, I was impressed with their Phoenix Women's Program. I really liked that it was an all women's unit, is more focused on therapy and less on "drugging up" the patients, and has a longer average stay than most adult units in the state. I also appreciated how it will accommodate a breastfeeding mom and allow her more frequent daily visits with her baby.
Residential Treatment for Chemical Dependency and Addiction for Women
- Jordan's Crossing - South OKC
- Website: www.red-rock.com/residential.php
- Contact: (405) 604-9644
- This program is completely free for women wanting to get sober from alcohol and other drugs, so there is often a waiting list. Pregnant and postpartum women get priority for admission into the program. Dependent children can stay with mom in the facility as well. This is an all women's program and can be life saving for moms and their children.
- Norman - Dr. Jill Delong
- Edmond - Dr. Wilson
Fitness & Exercise Groups
- Moore - Mommy & Me Yoga
- South OKC - Mommy & Me Workouts
- Norman - Guided Childbirth - Stephanie Simmons
- Norman - Baby Boot Camp - Sarah Smith
- North OKC & Edmond - Fit4Mom OKC Metro
- Website: okcmetro.fit4mom.com
- Great for mom's health and socialization
Childbirth & Parenting Education
- Parent PRO
- Kaitlin Lee, AAHCC
- Positive Parenting Solutions
- Webiste: www.positiveparentingsolutions.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/PositiveParentingSolutions
- Parenting now comes with a quality manual. There are practical tools to effectively address everyday struggles with your kids from age 2.5-16. I love this course and bought it for myself. I'd highly recommend it. Check on the free webinars on their Facebook Page to see if it connects with you before investing.
- Dr. Kat - Mom and Mind
- A podcast dedicated to maternal mental health, shedding stigma with personal postpartum stories, and resources.
- Dr. David Burns - Feeling Good
- An awesome podcast for therapists and the general public alike on effective and innovative tools for treating depression and anxiety, specifically using TEAM-CBT.